View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Our own SHANIAC on TV tonight. Hopefully he gets some good air ti

Shane,

Thanks for taking the time to explain for the sake of reality. ESPN has obviously left a lot to be desired to us poker players in their telecasts and it's an absolute pleasure to have some of the "horses mouths" around here to discuss situations and hands with.

First of all, let's face it, while Gracz' calls at point are pretty tough to make, the reads really aren't. Meaning, the overbet is on the short list of pretty basic player reading skills. Now, like I said, going with that read for all, or most of your chips is certainly another story.

One question, given your experience up to that point with Gracz and the determination of the reads he had put on CT and Pham, do you think he would have called a bet size that smelled more of a value bet rather than a push? Do you think it's possible that his mind was seeing a classic pattern with all the overbets and that his instict in those situations was identical?

I'm thinking obviously from a 20-20 hindsight situation, but if his reading ability is so basic as "if there is an overbet, I should have them beat with a smallish pair or even A high". Barring any splicing or time adjustment from ESPN, that look on his face when you declared "all-in" was almost immediate and the call was relatively quick as well. I'm wondering if it would have challenged him to call any more if the bet size looked more in line with basic poker strategy as it seems the reads were?

Thanks,
Daniel