View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 08:56 PM

Default The reason you shouldn\'t play a lousy hand because of pot odds...

How it's going folks. Just became a member today and thought I'd share a quick piece of my life with you guys. I played in a twenty man tourney the other day at my friend's older brother's house. I was probably third in chips and also the small blind. I believe the player in 4th position raised three times the blind and three others called before me. I looked down at good old seven deuce. What the hell, the pot odds are wonderful I thought. So I called. The big blind then called as well, he was the chip leader. The flop came out 7-2-J, rainbow. Checks all around to me, I bet the pot to look like I'm buying. Big blind reraises me, everyone else folds and now the action is back on me. I reraise all in with my two pair. The big blind thinks for a second and calls. I flip over seven deuce, he flips over pocket ducks. He landed a set. I was third in chips and now I'm out. Lesson here is, as ugly as a hand seven deuce was I should have mucked it immediately. But because the pot odds looked great, I went ahead and called. When I hit the seven deuce on the board I was excited. I was thinking that this is going to be a great story to all my friends. Instead I'm the butt of that story. Sometimes you just have to screw pot odds and wait out a hand. That was my donkey play of the month.