View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: avoid the big stack at all cost, or decided based on EV?

The last thing you want is a call from a bigger stack with 99 so I either call and wait for a flop or make a larger raise. In this case, I would just call. (Well, I say that, is what I 'would' do, what I do do is look at the pretty pair and play it like an idiot) but the right play seems to be to fold, call or push rather than try to take the hand down with a minimum raise, a marginal holding against an opponent whose table image is a) profitable b) dictates that he can't fold to a re-raise.

The first MTT I ever played, I reached the break second and the chip leader at the table was first. He was UTG and open raised 7x or so BB. I had AQ and 'knew' I was ahead so I went over the top and he called with K10. He paired the 10, won the hand and won the tournie. Naturally, I was annoyed (calling for almost all your chips with K10o???) but I realised that to fold meant that he would be doing no more blind stealing for a while, that he wouldn't be chip leader anymore etc. etc. so I was the fool to put him to a decision for all his chips without an absolute monster.