Thread: The Crusades
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 01:38 AM

Default Re: The Crusades

[ QUOTE ]
1. The Koran advocates war and violence to convert unbelievers and punish those who are deemed to have offended Islam.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prove it. I've met a few Muslims (and by that I mean all, as I've only ever known a few personally) who feel this is not a legitimate directive in Islam.

[ QUOTE ]
2. The history of Islamic states from the time of the caliphs has been one of authoritarianism in the name of religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prove it. Establish some controls, too. Have Islamic states been more authoritarian than other states that existed at the time? What about just comparitively across the region?

Hope you've got 15 research assistants at your disposal. This could take a while.

[ QUOTE ]
3. Islam advocates the imposition of Shari'a law as the basis for the judicial system even if it means using violent means to achieve this (Iran and Islamic Northern Nigeria are prime examples).

[/ QUOTE ]

Prove it -- the first line Wikipedia's article on Sharia under the section of 'Contemporary Practice of Sharia Law':

"There is tremendous variance in the interpretation and implementation of Islamic law in Muslim societies today."

[ QUOTE ]
4. Since the state is thus based upon holy writ and the will of Allah, then democracy can have little place except for expressing the will of the masses regarding mundane matters, and thus a totatlitarian state is the likeliest result.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prove it. Remember to factor in the fully-functional democracy of Morocco, which is also a country with a majority of dutiful and observant Muslims.