View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 03:54 AM

Default Re: Theory of Deception; A poll

[ QUOTE ]
Definition: Deception in poker, is the art of playing your hand in a manner which is contrary to that which maximizes your +EV, which in theory, increases your opponent(s) chances of misplaying their hand and returning your lost EV from the deceptive play and earning you additional +EV through the subsequent mistakes of your opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen a definition in a poker book. Maybe I have and just don't remember. So, after reading a book that a chapter on deception, which was 7 pages long, I decided to give it a shot.

My foundation was based upon the definition I learned for accounting while in college:

Accounting is the art of classifying, recording and summarizing transactions and events, which are at least in part of a financial nature and interpreting the results thereof.

That is a lot shorter than mine, and it takes 4 years of college to fully understand accounting, as well as a CPA test, that many say is harder to pass than the BAR Exam, to be a fully accredited accountant.

I thought what I came up with was o.k. The definition, by itself does not explain deception, that would take pages, however, for those of us who know what it is and understand how we can maximize its use, as well as misplay it, I thought the definition pretty much said it all in a nutshell.

Oh well, the exercise was fun.