View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Dating someone bi-polar

I personally wouldn't allow bipolar disorder to automatically disqualify a potential mate. However, I would advise you to be cognizant of special needs related to her illness. If you're truly interested you might start out by educating yourself on the illness. Having insight will enable you to more effectively deal with everyday challenges or even a crisis. I think your mileage will vary based on how willing you are to invest time and energy being an active participant in the management of the diease.

These considerations will become even more imperative if you move from casual dating to a serious intimate relationship. Then you will likely find it highly beneficial (if not absolutely necessary) to be proactive in the treatment of her disease. For example, you might drive her to scheduled appointments, attend medical appointments together, remind her to take her medications, call the doctor if you notice her becoming manic, etc. Is it worth expending this much effort? Only you can make this assessment based on your personal appraisal of your relationship's value.

JeffreyREBT "Wherein I don't promise to make you rich without trying, or even trying very hard; I do promise to say things that will make you feel rich."