View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: A raised, multi-way pots observation.

First off, thanks for the replies. If everyone just agreed this thread would've been pretty worthless. I was hoping to get some discussion started. On to my idea:

I should've pre-faced my post by saying that I play strictly NL, not limit, so both the pre-flop raise and the sebsequent calls have built a pretty large pot. Not many players will fire a pot-sized bet into 3 opponents with nothing if they missed. This is entirely different from Limit, where the bet on the flop is very cheap compared to pot size. So the PFR's bet conveys a certain degree of strength. Raising with a marginal hand absent a strong read is chip-spewing, not the other way around. Once more, I'm talking about NL, where the amount of money going into the pot is far greater - your whole stack, for instance.

But let's say you still want to go ahead with the hand. We all know that the vast majority of players will check to the raiser and check-raise (not the best strategy but the most widely used one). Being next to act right after the PFR put you in the worst position possible for this hand as you're sandwiched between the PFR and two other players that called OOP and have yet to really act - the idea here being that checking to the PFR is not necessarily a show of weakness.

Okay, that's it for now.

Kirk [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]