View Single Post
Old 07-02-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Most ridiculous rental apartment security deposit chargeback

[ QUOTE ]
I got dinged for the battery in my smoke detector being dead. I didn't even know that I had a smoke detector.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like my scumlords from college.

Here's what happened to me 10 years ago: I left the apartment in pristine condition, and even wanted an inspection to ensure full recovery of my deposit, which was a big chunk of change for me at the time. I even went to their office to turn in the key and get the security deposit right there. Their "policy" was to send a check in the mail, which I somehow accepted, being extremely naive. They also assured me that I would get my full deposit back, when I voiced my urgent concerns. Months go by, with weekly phonecalls by me requesting the whereabouts of my deposit check, with responses that the "check is in the mail". Finally, after 3 months, I make a personal visit to the office, which is 3 hours away from my new residence, BTW. I am VERY angry, obviously, and the manager tries to explain "the check is in the mail" to me with me standing right there! I said, I want it NOW, I've been waiting 3 months, and need the money. She grudgingly writes a check to me, for $17.50, or some insanely pathetic number. I go ape, and she explains that there was extensive damage and cleaning necessary, etc. I am just floored. I obviously argue, but she must've been trained/experienced in this type of thing because she had an answer for everything, it seemed. Somehow I got her to admit that my apartment was not damaged or needed extensive cleaning, and she said she'd send me a check for the rest. I don't know why, but I had enough for the bs and walked out. I continued to make weekly phone calls, and about a month later got a check for something like $37. I gave up after that.

Every residence after that point, I have been almost lawyerish from beginning to ending of the lease agreement, and now REQUIRE that my security deposit be applied towards my last month's rent. I have this put into the contract before I even agree to the lease. Usually at this point, there is more "compliance" it seems. Don't give them a dime without something in writing, that works in your favor. It seems like one needs a strong understanding of law/negotiation tactics to not get continuously financially raped in modern times.