View Single Post
Old 07-05-2005, 11:49 AM

Default HOW TO ESTABLISH POSITIONS starting JULY 05

Ok so I go to the competition site on MarketWatch and enter orders today. It was non-obvious to me how to establish positions. I did figure it out, and I share that info now.

Here are the steps for getting your orders in.

1. Click the competition link
a. Stock Trading Competition Link
2. Enter competition name:
a. twoplustwoevent001
3. Enter password:
a. fishyfish
4. Look to the lower left, you will see the ‘TRADING TOOLBOX’, here you can enter:
a. SYMBOL
b. QUANTITY
c. ORDER TYPE (buy, sell)
5. This is the place to add and liquidate positions. Once you enter the Symbol/Quantity/Order Type info, and click the [Trade] button, you will brought to a trading screen where you can enter all trade details. This is how you add items to the portfolio, and also how you liquidate existing positions.

Please give this a try before you post any problems or glitches getting started. Once you enter orders you are on your way. Give it a try.

One word to the wise. The quotes are delayed 20 minutes, so the price info is 20 minutes stale. Say a stock you are watching just went up $1 in the last 10 minutes. You theoretically could buy it for this competition at the 20-minutes-ago price, and see an instant gain in this little exercise.

It doesnt work that way, however. Orders are not filled instantly. The reality is that all orders take 20 minutes to execute, even Market Orders, so you can't game the system that way.

All your orders apparently fill 20 minutes from when you enter the order.

Good luck to all.