View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Bush asked his boss...

[ QUOTE ]
Are we basing this on some poll- the political equivalent of sticking your finger in the wind?

I could have sworn President Bush was just re-elected and got more votes than any other Presidential candidate in history.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to question the validity of polls, don't use equally bad statistics yourself. The fact that Bush got more votes than any candidate in history has a lot to do with the fact that the US population is higher now than ever before. In 2004 John Kerry got more popular votes (59 mil) than Ronald Reagan did in 1984 (54.5 mil). Does that suggest that Kerry was more popular than Reagan?

Furthermore, there are plenty of statistics which suggest that Bush's reelection was not so impressive:

[ QUOTE ]
Bush won with the smallest margin of victory for a sitting president in U.S. history in terms of the percentage of the popular vote. (Bush received 2.5% more than Kerry; the closest previous margin won by a sitting President was 3.2% for Woodrow Wilson in 1916.) In terms of absolute number of popular votes, his victory margin (approximately 3 million votes) was the smallest of any sitting President since Harry S. Truman in 1948.

[/ QUOTE ] link

I don't really care how Bush's popularity ranks historically, but I hate it when people use bad statistics (such as Bush's total number of votes) to back up their assertions.