View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 10:35 PM

Default Trapping the high hand?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (4.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (4.35 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___raises___raises

6th Street - (14.35 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

River - (14.35 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: 16.35 BB

I call the completion in this game since it's relatively loose-passive, and I'm ready to give it up unless I improve quickly. By cold-calling the completion, my hand is well defined in one direction, but the strength of it is not. I put Seat 5 on a good low draw with two or maybe three hearts. Seat 5 is very aggressive/smart from my notes.

I checked fifth street here since I knew Seat 5 would bet, and a check-raise was liable to get Seats 1 and 4 out, and I could play head up with either the best low hand or the best high hand. Unfortunately, Seat 4 called, and Seat 7 had an easy re-raise. I had to think about just calling here, but I've seen Seat 4 put money in and fold before - he/she seemed loose/passive, but not a calling station. I decided to cap it right here to signal that my hand was strong in both directions (possibly a four-flush or a lock six-low), and villain folded. Seat 5 obviously calls, and we check through sixth street since we both caught bad. This clearly defines Seat 5's hand as low-only, and not buried aces/kings or rolled up sevens.

I decided to bet the river with any card that improved me in either direction, since I felt that ace-high was probably the best high hand, and I could have the best low hand (not likely, but possible). I caught the pair and decided to bet since it was a huge improvement for me.

How do you like the squeeze play on fifth? The river bet?

Thanks for your input.