Thread: What to do?
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: What to do?

OK, let's do some math. This is my first real shot at this, and I haven't taken stats in a few years. So I'll probably screw this up. Please don't hesitate to point it out and ridicule me.

I'll simplify a lot because I'm lazy. I will give the SB and BB each a super-loose range. AA-22, AK-A2, KQ-K9, QJ-Q9, JT-J9, T9 is what they will call with regardless of suitedness. This is about 33% of all hands (I think). So, at least one will pick up a hand in this range (and thus call you) 44% of the time.

So, 56% of the time you win T300 because both of them fold. T300*.56 = +T168.

37% of the time you are called by one opponent (but not the other):

Of this 37%, about 17% of the time you're up against a better pocket pair, and you're a 4.5:1 dog. 82% of the time you lose T1465. 18% of the time you win T1605. (Edit: I suck) This is roughly -T912 * .17 * .37 = -T57.

The other 83% of the times you get called by just one opponent, you'll be a coinflip or so. For simplicity's sake, I'll just say you'll be a 52/48 favorite. 48% of the time you lose T1465. 52% of the time you win T1605. (Edit: I suck) T129 * .83 * .37 = +T39

7% of the time, they will both call you. Let's just assume you're crushed here, and that you have a 15% shot at winning T4395 (edit: I suck), but you'll lose T1465 85% of the time. -T541 * .07 = -T41.

Added up, it seems that pushing here is about +T109 (edit: I suck) in chipEV. This isn't a tiny edge. Though it isn't quite 10% of your stack...it still seems too big to pass up.

Also, at the $33s, their range is nowhere near this loose, and you're going to win the blinds a lot more than 56% of the time. This augments your stack by more than 20%. If you actually do get called, you're still likely to be in a coinflip. If you win this coinflip, you will have a very, very good shot at first with almost 40% of the chips in play. If you run into an overpair, suck out.

Edit: I'm really interested now in what SNGPT would say about this (if it can do this for two opponents, I don't know at all). Its $EV analysis is likely better than my hastily-done-while-bored-at-work-chipEV calculations.