Thread: Gary Thorne
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Gary Thorne

[ QUOTE ]
Listening to him call a hockey game is amazing. I find it very impressive that he can identify and rattle of the names of the players as quickly as the action is taking place, especially with the influx of eastern european players.
I really don't care for him in any other sport, but his ability to make an OT playoff hockey game seem like it could end at any moment is great. The mere rising of his voice can almost convince me that a guy is about to score.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding, right? Of the hockey announcers I've heard, Thorne is the least adept at pronounciation - he still calls Oleg Tverdovsky Oleg Tverdorsky - and often miscalls the action, miscalls the players, tells stories during key moments, and so on.

Not only that, his '...for the CUP!' calls during the Devils-Stars 2000 series in OT were terrible - anyone watching knows it's for the Cup. And let's not forget his memorable Game 7 call in Ottawa in 2003 - 'Friesen scores! No! NO THE GOAL LIGHT IS NOT ON!' - one of the top 10 playoff goals of the 21st century completely miscalled.