View Single Post
Old 10-29-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: TV Busted - should I get another one?

Just get one of those cheap RCA ones. You can get a 25 inch one for under $200.

T.V. has become almost entirely background noise for me too, but I still like background noise sometimes. I can get that from a cheap t.v. just as easily as I can from a $5,000 one.

I used to be pretty much thunderstruck by cool electronics, and was definitely one of those guys who thought having a great stereo, and then connecting it to a great t.v. to make a great home entertainment center, was one of the coolest things you could possibly do. I still think it's cool, but just don't care that much anymore. And now I realize that the cost is pretty absurd. I'm fine now with a workable coccoon, but don't need one that will keep me happy for a thousand years, and realize that would probably be counter-productive anyway. Better I should concentrate on almost anything than purely passive mindless entertainment.

So now I don't have cable and haven't had it in years, and can't picture getting it again. I think I'm better off and happier without it. I don't slobber and hyperventilate over audio magazines and wonder if I should bomb my credit card with electronics. It's hard to picture when you're deep into techno-lust and completely mindless entertainment, but life is probably even more entertaining when you do things that don't involve a home entertainment center.