Thread: Straight pool
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Straight pool

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

How about billiards? I had an old timer show me the break the other day, and after he tried it 4 or 5 times, i took a try and hit it on my second attempt. I think I could really get into that game...

[/ QUOTE ]

I fooled around on a billiards table at hollywood on market in SF a few times. it was fun. it's not quite as hard as you expect, but it's still damned hard. but to make it more enjoyable at first, you can play 1 cushion instead of 3 cushion, or even straight rail (no cushion necessary). if you actually get good, straight rail becomes a very different game, where you learn to "nurse" the balls, never having them move more than a fraction of an inch and making huge runs. but if you're curious about billiards I highly recommend two videos from accustats: semih sayginer's artisitic billiards exhibition (3-cush trick shots with masse's and various incredible astounding things) and blomdahl v. ceulemans 1996 which is considered the greatest 3-cushion performance (avg 4/inning) ever (unless probably blomdahl's topped himself...).

[/ QUOTE ]

Get their Balkline tape. If you are a serious player, you'll be astounded. I've lent it to "A" pool players who have never been on a billiard table and had trouble getting it back. I've lent it to "B" players and it's come back the next day with about three minutes viewed on the un-rewound tape.