View Single Post
Old 07-16-2003, 08:32 AM

Default Small Pocket Pairs inSH

In another post I ran "Complicated Hand" the related issue of how to play small pocket pairs (55-88) in SH (5-6) came up.

Here is my take. Comments welcome:

I have found that in SH raising with 55-88 preflop is generally a good strategy, since 1 pair will often win. If no AKQ flops and there are no scary draws a bet by me will frequently clear the field down to one or two. Other flopped mid cards may induce a limper with overcards to stay in who figures my raise to have been unpaired high cards and sees my flop bet as more of an automatic response. Most players do not play as if thet conside poclet pairs a real possibility unless there has been a preflop re-raise. In case where rags flop, opponents likely have 2 overcards and have more of an incentive to limp (not a great play, but many of these guys I play against do this), so I bet the turn and check the river. Any action from the other side and I fold.

Finally, if I'm HU against a (TA) good player I am MORE likely to semi-bluff by betting the flop even with a high card showing (since if he hasn't hit a pair he can be expected to take me for one) and fold. If he stays around for the turn or the river I simply check/fold.