View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Lesson learned with the nut low...

Steam,

I actually agree with TGoldman on this issue. The entertainment value of watching the low limit table captains scream at you for raising the nut low is well worth the price of admission.

I don't play at Party anymore.

But about a week ago I looked in my Party account and what do I see? There's $30 sitting there.

Ok, I head over to the .5/1 table and play for a bit.

There is one guy at the table who is giving "lessons" on playing the nut low to the other players. Being really nasty and all.

Well, a couple hands later, I'm playing a hand with the nut low against this table captain and a guy to my right who also has the nut low.

For some reason I started to think that the table captain had the nut low too.

So when the betting came to me...I raised on the river...because I had a high pair too. There was a chance...even though it was a slim one, that I had the high as well (I had a pair of kings to go with my nut low).

It didn't work out. I got quartered for the low and table captain took the high....and then went balistic....how I was a horrible player and all that.

But here's the moral of the story. It cost me one extra bet (of which I got a quarter of it back) to take a chance and win 3/4 of the big pot. And the real idiot was the table captain...who was soooooo annoyed with my raise that he forgot that he had the nut high hand and should have raised himself...costing him 2 more bets for us low hands.

Quartering isn't fun. It happens, but people worry about it way too much.

Dave