View Single Post
Old 09-02-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Flop push => weakness?

[ QUOTE ]
Villain should fold to push. When hero pushes on that board villain is unlikely to be ahead.

Of course villain should fold preflop and fold to the preflop raise, but villain seems to be a calling station.

Hero's play is reasonable. He made a small raise with a big pair preflop. On the flop, he pushed the dangerous board. He could be way ahead or way behind, but he can't give the villain a chance to improve cheaply, since villain probably has atleast a pair or a draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, but I did a poor job of asking my question. I've recently experienced several hands like this, hands where your description would fit perfectly (minor exception: sometimes villains call preflop was reasonable and your second sentence wouldn't apply)

My question is whether there is something systemic going on here. Is there something that is causing players to discount a push on the flop and make this type of call? Admittedly, the only commonality might be the weak players in the low $ tourneys I play (usually $5's -$30's).