View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Re: passive play in passive games, rakes, and the current state of 2/4 BBJ

A 5.09% PFR isn't just hesitating to isolate because of the futility of the move, nor is it not being able to attempt steals because too many players are limping and the blinds never fold. It's simply limping with way too many hands. I'd wager that you are routinely limping with hands like TT-99, AJo, ATs, KQo, KJs, etc, and that's bad. If your opponents are going to make mistakes by calling your raises with suited crap, great--that's going to make you more money. Yes, you're going to get sucked out on often and you'll have to work hard on your postflop play (especially playing out of position), but those are the kinds of things you need to do in order to improve your game (and, ultimately, your win rate). Heck, even relatively passive 2+2'ers who rarely if ever blind steal still end up with PFRs in the 7-8 range. Make no mistakes about it: this is a significant leak in the kinds of games you're playing.

Other than that, considering the games you're playing, your stats look pretty respectable. But you just can't allow yourself to get into a mentality of "what's the use of raising, since they'll call anyway?". Remember, you want them to call with dominated hands or other weak holdings.

I didn't read through your entire "locked threads" thread, but I suspect that part of the reason your initial thread was locked was because it contained the screenname, general stats, and overall results for another player--that's a pretty big breach of etiquette on here (and admittedly, I don't think it's mentioned in either of the stickied threads; we need to fix that).

I don't personally play the BBJ tables very often. Sometimes if I'm in a good mood and the jackpot is pretty big I'll play a table or two there, but for the most part I stick with the normal party games. I'm not sure if anyone has succeeded (or even tried) in full-timing the BBJ tables with a good win rate, but if anyone has, I'm not aware of it. It's no doubt possible, but I would think that the same player could do just as well if not better with the improved table selection available in the normal limits.