View Single Post
Old 12-27-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Has he got quads?

[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion, the right answer to the question "Has he got quads?" is pretty much always no.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to have to say that it's very dangerous to think this way. In fact, I tend to believe the opposite. When the flop comes, I really have to stop and consider what my opponent is calling with. I always think about why my opponent is calling or raising, and in the case of this flop, someone playing a 10 is very likely. I'm not surprised to see quads just because it's an unlikely hand to have when the hand begins.

You also have to think about the hand your opponent can put you on. In terms of capping - in the case of my opponenet's 8 8 or A A here (the only hands we beat), my opponenent should probably be hesitant to raise with these holdings based on the action on the turn and facing a bet in front. 88 would probably have to assume my AA to raise (with 10 - x as a possibility - and why would I be this crazy with A A anyway?), and my opponenet's AA has to worry about all kinds of different hands. Because of this, with my bet in front, I think I'm definately facing quads if raised so why bet, and even worse - 3 bet?