View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: $22: 99, underpair against a push

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
99 is borderline for me. I am unsure whether I fold or raise here. But I don't think raising here preflop is a leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think folding here is too tight. for those who want a fold, replace "utg" with "MP2" and maybe it'll sound better. i'd happily raise with smaller pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that folding here (six handed) is too tight.

But why would folding in MP be better?

I assume you're thinking that you are more likely to be given credit for a big pair raising UTG, and so less likely to be played back at?

But at the same time, isn't that value diminished by the chance that you'll be called behind you and will have to play a big pot, out of position, likely to face overs, unsure if you had an underpair preflop (people will often smoothcall with TT-JJ here) regardless, likely pot committing yourself with any lead bet (considering not your stack but the stacks that could call) and putting yourself to a tough decision with any open check on the flop.

That doesn't sound too good to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

my mistake - i wasn't clear. i meant that the folders would think "99 in MP2" would sound more like a playable hand than "99 in UTG," so they wouldn't want to fold. i.e., utg 6-handed = MP2 10-handed.