View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Re: 5/10 LO8 -- cap turn with nut straight?

[ QUOTE ]
UTG bets, UTG+1 calls, MP calls, I raise, UTG 3 bets, UTG+1 calls, MP folds, I cap?

[/ QUOTE ]

JB - No. Just call.

[ QUOTE ]
But if UTG+1 is playing a set/flush draw, I want him to put in as much money as possible on the turn, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You have to put money in the pot too. UTG+1 and you are both behind UTG, if you're sure UTG has a heart flush draw. UTG+1 is a bigger underdog than you if all he has is a set, but you're an underdog too, if you're sure UTG has the heart flush draw.

If UTG+1 has both the heart flush draw and a set, then UTG+1 is ahead of both UTG and you. If UTG doesn't also have an ace, then you're ahead of UTG, but still an underdog.

Depends on their exact cards. If we give them both hearts and if UTG doesn't also have an ace, then you're ahead of them both, but barely. If we give UTG+1 top two pair instead of a set, and if we give them both maximum hearts, then you're ahead by more.

[ QUOTE ]
But if UTG+1 is playing a set/flush draw, I want him to put in as much money as possible on the turn, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily, because you have to put money in the pot too. If UTG doesn't have any hearts and if UTG+1 has two hearts and a set, then UTG+1 is the favorite.

It really depends on the exact cards. You're behind unless UTG+1 doesn't have a set or unless both UTG and UTG+1 have lots of hearts between the two of them. (You're behind even more if we give UTG+1 the straight too).

Your re-draw to the ace high straight is not as good as your combined opponents draws or re-draws to a boat or heart flush, assuming at least one of them also has the king high straight.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you cap the turn here or wait for a safe river card and hope UTG+1 keeps putting money in when UTG and you bet and raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

With the information you've provided, I think there's a greater chance that you're behind than that you're ahead. But since we don't know the cards involved for certain, there's some doubt about that.

I think the nail in the coffin is that maybe UTG+1 has the straight too, and if so, or if one of them can make an ace high straight with a king or a jack too, you're definitely an underdog.

Buzz