Thread: Poker AI
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2003, 01:18 AM

Default Re: Poker AI: An Essay on the Topic

"human tracking of these changes is near impossible for the vast majority of players." And for a bot as well, at least in real time.

" The ability to play 24/7/365 with no fatigue, steaming etc. i.e., without emotion." A losing bot will simply lose more money and quicker.

"Since all current poker theory is based on squeezing the maximum out of every situation (i.e., to be as efficient as possible), an approach not driven by this consideration, in effect, allows for the creation of a hitherto unknown style of expert player. " The reason this is so is to win in the first place, not to win more. Without the ability to "squeeze" those extra bets you go from a winner to a loser.

"The ‘soft’ skills the expert has built up over many years are irrelevant..." So is this statement, think about it.

"Anyone who can develop the technology to create a bot of this type could also design an automated opponent tracker. " Not to mention they would also be able to design a device that spins straw into gold which by the way would be more profitable.

"Over a period of a few days substantial statistical dossiers on the playing habits of the regulars would be available. This information ,would be updated in real-time during the games and coordinated with table texture stats. " Incomplete information, enough said.

"Now two challenges: One: Tell me what you think of the preceding argument." I did.

" Two: How would YOU design the bot to take maximize its superhuman capabilities?" I have no time for this, I am still working on that straw to gold problem. Do you know where I might find a little fella named Rumpelstilzchen?

That being said I believe a winning bot is possible, just not with today's technology.