Thread: 5-5 hand
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2004, 11:32 AM

Default Re: 5-5 hand

If you call the flop, and check the turn, will he automatically bet the turn if he's on a draw? Or might he take a free card? Does he fear you might check/raise him in this scenario? If he'll take the free card, you could check again on the river, and call his bet.

This way of playing is weak, but you have a hand that doesn't want a lot of action, but is happy to show down as long as the pot isn't too big, so I think this line is worth considering. That flop has a lot of drawing possibilities, so there's a decent chance you're ahead, but you don't want to pay too much to find out.

If he had called your flop bet, would you have kept firing on the turn? If so, that's a lot of money to commit to hand that's not that good.

I think I like the line of play you took better if you were on an out and out bluff. You're leveraging the fact that you might keep firing at him to make him lay down a hand that can't take the heat. But if fires back at you, then you're forced to lay down a hand which has some value. You don't mind doing that with a bluff, but here you actually have someing, so you'd like to show it down if you could.

I think the key question is how likely he is to bet the turn with a draw. If it's very likely, I like your line. (either take a shot, or just fold) If he's likely to take the free card, I like calling.