View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Basic Pot Odds Questions - Please Help a New Guy

"Darren, I have a question for you - have you actually played much poker? It almost seems like you're so weighed down with information from TOP, but no poker experience to relate it to."

I've got some experience under my belt and I'm trying to sharpen the theory. This is just a fine distinction I was trying to clarify on a fundamental point since TOP was not entirely clear and people's understanding on the forums seems to differ. I just wanted to make sure what I've been doing is theoretically correct - better than just guessing and wondering.

Actually, judging by your response, the answer to my question is BOTH of the suggested answers I mentioned. This is not exactly crystal clear stuff.

So, it sounds like you're saying the pot odds are NOT really calculated cumulatively, since once you put money in the pot it is gone, HOWEVER, if you anticipate a raise behind then you should AT THAT POINT calculate in the added call you know you'll end up making. But if you get a SURPRISE raise behind you, the pot odds for that next call will just be based on that one call.

Is this correct?

Thanks.