View Single Post
Old 08-05-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Re: The real difference in the 2 party\'s economic policy

MelK, I read the book recently, and it's also important to note that the author discusses the effects of the Democrats' backing free trade agreements that destroyed good union jobs in Wichita and other blue collar communities in Kansas and throughout the U.S.

The author seems to feel that the Democrats have lost their way on economic issues and are not much better then the GOP in that regard, alienating blue collar workers and causing them to back the GOPdue to their pseudo-populist appeal to Christianity and wedge issues.

Thus, I feel that Frank is placing far more blame on the Democratic Party than you seem to suggest, and is more or less saying that these people no longer vote Democratic because the party, in his opinion, (and in mine as well, but that's besides point) should be representing their economic best interests but is not, allowing the GOP to fill the vacuum by catering to evangelical wedge issues while implementing (via the backdoor) even more destructive economic policies.