View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 05:41 AM

Default Re: Are computer games art, even to Canadians?

I think the guy in the second quote I copied over above was right on. Art goes beyond craftsmanship and tends to have at least a chance of expanding the boundaries and consciousness of the person experiencing it. And because of that it can also last, sometimes almost indefinitely. Very few games are challenging anyone's perceptions of themselves or anything else even in the slightest, or broadening them intellectually or emotionally, nor is that often a goal. And once you're done, you may have fond memories of a game, or not, but you're done.

When you're talking video games, I think with only the rarest exception, much more son than in the case of movies, you're talking about something made for commercial considerations. There may be a Citizen Kane of gaming one day, but it doesn't look like anyone's really working on it or planning to. We've got more of a Vin Diesel thing going.

The potential is out there, though.

I think part of the whole discussion is that many people consider virtually anything that actually functions without breaking, or that they like, art, when the most it could really aspire to is good craftsmanship.

I have plenty of junk tastes myself, but I'm happy to enjoy it for what it is without calling it art.