View Single Post
Old 12-24-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Splitting the MTT Forum

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To all you who play high buy in tourneys, I have a question since you think there is such a difference. How often do you think you cash in a 1700 person tourney whether it is $3 or $300 and can you explain the differences in getting deep between the two?

[/ QUOTE ]

Low buyins: Wait for a big hand, play it fast and then double-up or get sucked out on. Double up a few times without getting sucked out on and you're on your way.

High buyins: Much harder to double-up (unless you have <20BB - sometimes hard even then). You have to win numerous small pots each hour rather than nutpeddling your way to one or two big pots per hour.

My ITM % is pretty much inversely proportional to buyin as it should be.

So why do I prefer to play bigger buyins?

1. They're more interesting.

Folding every hand that's not an TPTK or better on the flop really isn't very stimulating.

2. They're more profitable (assuming you are a winning player).

Even if you have incredible results at low buyins you will still profit <10 buyins per event on average (and probably much, much less). Let's say it's 7 buyins. That's $21 profit per 2-3 hours invested for the Stars $3 buyins. It's just not worth it if you have a profit motive.

So, how often do I cash at $3/1700 tourneys vs. $300/1700 tourneys? Who cares! Averaging 1 buyin profit per tourney at the $300 buyin level is obviously far superior to even the most optimistic projections of $3 buyin profitability.

Later,
Che

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, a good player is better off playing higher. I think 1 buyin per tournament at $300 and 7 buyins per tournament at $3 are pretty optimistic. Maybe you can do that.

Some people multitable small buyin events. They are a little harder to multitable than SNGs or cash games, but it is doable.