View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Rebuy and Stack Size Strategy? --> good M but poor Q

I have not read HOH, but I will try to answer you post as best I can as someone with alot of MTT experience and especially good results in rebuy tournaments.

Firstly you should always see a rebuy tournament buy-in as 10xs the actual initial buy in. You certainly wont always need that but if that seems like too much, as a previous poster said, move down a level.

Secondly you will ideally want to be one of the large stacks by the end of the rebuy period. There are always exceptions but it isnt really that hard to do.

I dont take coinflips unless my stack, or thier stack, is low anyway and i will only loose one buy in. But at this stage of a tournament, unless you have a read on an apponent AK or any pair TTs and above, is not really coinflip as you will so often get called by a worse/dominated hand. I dont know much about odds but I think the odds of this happening plus the fact you can rebuy make up for the times you have the worst of it.

This doesnt really happen that often though, where I make my chips is by exploiting any kind of edge. Target your oppennets and try estimate as soon as you can which ones are gamblers and/or which ones will pay you off with a worse hand. Then when you are up against them bet all your hands (where you are guessing your are ahead) really strongly.

When you are playing on party and you are up against someone who probably wont commit to a hand they are behing on (therefore will likely fold), go all in anyway and take a rebuy while you are at it.

This is a very simple approach in theory but it works for me.

Stack size, if we take Party as an example, I love to have about 10,000. chips by the break and then an add on. I play my best poker then.

If you do have less than that but you are comfortable with the blinds then just play your normal game. Even if some people at your table have 5xs you stack its irrelevant, all that matters is some have more than you, which I am sure you will agree is a very normal occurence.

Am playing 2 rebuys right now actually, PS25k and PP15k, both as Sammiantha.

Good Luck.