View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: A Theoretical Question about Isolationism

[ QUOTE ]

I didn't read the OP as saying individuals would be prevented from helping, only that the government would not provide aid. How much Tsunami relief was donated by private US individuals as compared to the "official" government contribution?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I said anything about individuals. If my words implied it, that was unintentional.

Individuals, philanthropic foundations, The Salvation Army, The Red Cross, etc., will always find a way to help people suffering from a disaster. They also help in situations that don't qualify as a disaster. Their purpose has nothing to do with government policy and I hope they'll always do what they feel is right.

I usually have faith in their stewardship of the money they are trusted with. I can't quote the dollar figure any of them have contributed in comparison to what our government kicked in. I believe most of them, if not all, publish the numbers, proudly. It wouldn't be hard to total the numbers and compare them. Probably, the private donations, in total, are much higher.