View Single Post
Old 10-08-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: My Take on the Magazine

[ QUOTE ]

Barron's article basically said, "I took an unusual line that was somewhat risky, because of the opponent. And you should think about how you might do the same thing sometime"

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that the essence of good play? Mixing it up at times? Keeping the other guy guessing?

I think that's why, unlike chess, the AI programs used in computer v. human poker matches will never be so dominating.

The chess game(s) all seem to use X offense, countered with Y defense, followed with Z counter-attack, etc., etc., ad nauseum. Every master chess player knows every written move. Everything every great player did. And it's all been put in the computer.

Poker, OTH, is so variable. Sure, in situation "this," the smartest play is "that," but maybe I'll do "the other" this time. P. Hellmouth, as a prime example, screams, "You donk! You called with XX? How stupid is that? You were a dog at....."

But the donk play took the pot. PH used straight line thinking. Sometimes you have to think outside the box. If you get predictable, I take your chips. I get predictable, you take my chips.