View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Re: What happens if someone hacks into your online bank...

In the U.S., it would probably depend on whether the bank classifies you as a business customer or a consumer. If you are classified as a consumer, you have some protection. If you are classified as a business customer, watch out:

[ QUOTE ]
In April 2004, moments after logging on to his online account at work, Lopez spotted an entry revealing that someone had executed an electronic transfer of $90,348.65 to Parex Bank in Riga, Latvia. Lopez knew no one in Latvia. "I thought I was going to vomit," he recalls.

The next day, according to bank records, a mysterious figure named Yanson Arnold withdrew $20,000 in cash from Parex Bank, leaving $70,348.65 behind. Arnold has not been heard from since.

Bank of America disavowed responsibility, prompting Lopez to sue the bank in federal court in Miami to get his money back.

"We fully investigated his claims and determined that all of our internal protocols and security measures were in place," says Shirley Norton, a Bank of America spokeswoman.

In its defense, the bank has invoked an obscure section of the Uniform Commercial Code, state laws governing commercial contracts, which banks helped draft. It limits liability in delivering online services to businesses if certain safeguards are in effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.borderlandnews.com/apps/p...511140334/1003

I called my online broker (where I keep most of my money) and they assured me that no money can be transferred out of my account to an account owned by another person. Also, they said I could lock down access to my account from IP addresses I designate. I haven't done the lockdown yet, but probably should.

It may be a good idea to call Neteller and see what security measures they have in place. Maybe they can make it so that transfers from your account only go to bank accounts and poker sites you designate.