View Single Post
Old 05-11-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: I think there\'s something fundamentally wrong with how I played th

[ QUOTE ]
95% of the time I'd raise more preflop to narrow the field. I explained that I fully expected a reraise from late position, otherwise I'd have just played it ABC.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the assessment that if you want to get raised PF limping is a much better way to go. Your stance that "I don't like limping in EP with big hands" doesn't make a ton of sense here, because minraising isn't going to be that much different in thinning the field, functionally. Plus, minraising frequently sets off much stronger alarms in a wider range of players than limping, at least when the blinds are small. If you wanted to get reraised PF, limping is the way to go.

The weak lead on the flop is interesting. Do you only make bets like this with monsters? If so, that's a problem; such behavior (coupled with the preflop minraise) suggests a fairly easy to read weak = strong betting pattern which will let observant opponents off the hook more than you'd like. If this is how you usually bet then it's somewhat better, but I prefer a 1/2-2/3 pot bet as a more standard raise, as it's more effective for when you're trying to take the pot with junk, which is going to be more common than trying to get your monsters paid.

The turn play is strong, I like it a lot. If you happened to run into AA, then so be it; you were going to lose your stack on this hand no matter what.