Thread: Flop overbet
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Flop overbet (RESULTS)

[ QUOTE ]

Online NL, 6-handed. <font color="white"> 1131776263 </font>

Hero is the button, 75 BB.
Villain is MP, 74 BB.
There were no very short stacks at the table, though the SB had only 40 BB.

Preflop:
Fold, Villain raises to 3 BB, fold, Hero calls 3 BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2 folds.

Flop (2 players, 7.5 BB): 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain bets 32 BB. Hero...?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hero raises to 72 BB (all-in). Villain folds.
Hero wins 71.5 BB - rake.

I felt the Villain had a vulnerable hand like two pair, TPGK, 99-QQ, or AK. This bet looked to me like a protection bet, not a pure bluff or value bet, but I felt I was ahead of the range of hands he could have because so many of them were just one lower pair. I'm not confident of this, as this was a strange situation, which is why I posted.

Just calling looks hideous. It would tell AK or A7, which have 6 and 5 outs, to get out unimproved, but I might lose my whole stack if the "free card" helps them. If I raise, the Villain gets 2.8:1 on the call, which gives a 6-out draw a tough decision. That means I don't face the problem of being ahead of his range, but behind when he calls. The raise is an efficient protection bet when I'm ahead.

I was surprised at the fold. Maybe he didn't consider the odds he was getting, and just wanted to keep playing without adding money. Maybe he had a semi-bluff involving overcards, and no longer felt the overcards would be good when I raised.