View Single Post
Old 06-02-2004, 05:06 AM

Default Re: TT overpair: easy push or easy fold?

[ QUOTE ]
Great job in the tourney Nate, I was sweating you after my MTT ended. It's a shame he called your semi-bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, dude. It was nice having some folks in the peanut gallery to relieve the pressure a little bit. Was happy with how things turned out and will probably post several hands later.

[ QUOTE ]
As for your TT push, I wouldn't put him on 22, 33, or 88 due to his reraise preflop. He is either on a weak resteal with Axs or he has a monster. With JJ or QQ, I think the villian would have more than min-raised to take the pot there. I'd put him on KK or AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

He had QQ and I spiked a T on the river to double up. While his approach on the flop was a little bit risky, I think he played the hand well, since *most* of the time, KK and AA are going to push in preflop, and so he can proceed postflop with a fair degree of confidence if his Queens are overcards to the board.

It's clear that I have a lot of work to do on my postflop play. I'm reasonably effective where the bet/stack ratios are in the SNG range, since I have a fair amount of experience in those, but I almost certainly take too many -EV risks when the stacks are relatively large; mucking the TT hand, for example, would not have impacted my position too significantly ... same goes for the last hand of the night.

OTOH, it seems absolutely clear that the payout structure in the Party MTT's almost mandate a risk-loving approach; I was fortunate tonight that all my coin flips came up heads, but I'm going to take a coin flip almost whenever I can.