View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Another button vs bb

Looking at the stack sizes in the OP I would think that folding this hand puts you so much closer to average stacks that your steals aren't going to be quite as effective, regardless. I don't want to give my opponents the impression that I'll fold if someone comes over the top of my raises. I want to be able to steal in LP a little more frequently and I don't want the blinds on my button preventing that every single orbit. This is especially true if, by folding, I'm only leaving myself "wiggle room" for one failed steal attempt before I'm in jam/fold mode. Actually in this case the OP said he hasn't been stealing very often - if I haven't been able to steal much up to this point I want to create a situation where I can start to do so.

By calling here players will definitely think twice about pushing marginal hands over my LP raises in the future. They'll actually need a real hand to make that move. I think that calling here will give me an image such that the remaining players won't be as tempted to make plays at me with weaker holdings since I've shown a willingness to gamble here. It may also have the added benefit of an "uneducated" player seeing this as a bad play, thus getting them to make a play at me with a marginal hand when I have them dominated.

If I feel I'm of superior skill to the rest of the players I'm more likely to make this call. If I have a good read that this shouldn't be a high PP, as the OP did, I'm definitely calling here.

Is this really a spot where stack preservation is more important than EV? If it is, perhaps I'm missing something and if that is the case I'm open to criticism and comments.