View Single Post
Old 02-27-2005, 07:09 AM

Default Black American Memorabilia

You would think that only a racist would collect this stuff, but surprisingly not so. In his book titled, "The Art and History of Black Memorabilia: We Never Fade," Larry Buster states:

"Often harsh and painful to examine, these artifacts nonetheless offer an important window into American history. They have become highly valued collectibles, and especially so among African Americans."

I remember driving by a black memorabilia/antique store about four years ago (in a predominantly black neighborhood). I was really surprised this kind of store existed (and in a black neighborhood t'boot), but I also felt a sense of fascination too. To buy an antique black doll is one thing, but in the window they showed some things you'd think many people would find offensive (blackface prints etc..). Also, if you are white and have any black friends, are you really going to feel comfortable displaying this stuff?

On-line there are sites selling black memorabilia ranging anywhere from the 'mildly offense' to the 'very offensive.'

A child's sandpail

Ashtray