View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 04:30 AM

Default Do Christians (or Jews) Need God to see the Future.

This is a legitimate question because I think I stumbled on to something.

It was already established a long time ago in the thread I started about whether God could make two cubes add up to another cube, that God's omniscience did not mean he could do literally everything. Though some religious people thought otherwise, religious scholars of every make and model, including Not Ready, freely agreed that even God can't do things that amount to contradicting himself. Or something to that effect. Those who thought he could make two cubes add up to a third, simply didn't see that this was a complicated example of the above. But I'm not interested in arguing about that now. Assume it is true for the sake of this discussion.

Anyway on another thread I believe I have come up with an argument similar to "can God build a rock he can't lift?" that is an example of asking God to contradict himself. The argument applies to his ability to perfectly see the future while giving humans AND HIMSELF free will. And unless there is a flaw in the argument, it seems he can't. But I don't want to argue about that either.

For now I want to know which religions or denominations would fall apart if God couldn't perfectly see the future (perhaps because he voluntarily gave up that power). Keep in mind that if this was true many of the arguments against certain religions would go away (I'll let others elaborate.)

If the only reason a certain religion assumes God can see the future is because it assumes that God is omniscient, then there is no reason to stick to that assumption if that omniscience remains intact even if he doesn't have that power (like he doesn't regarding cubes or rocks).

What I'm asking is which religions have precepts that SPECIFICALLY REQUIRE tha God can perfectly see the future (rather than the more general requirement that he be omniscient). I'm thinking that many religions do not have specific beliefs that require this seeing the future ability. (If I'm right about that and if my argument that maps this subject onto rock building ability is not flawed, then given the upsides of postulating a non perfect predicter God, this little atheist may have done more for religion than Aquinas, Calvin and Spinoza combined.)