View Single Post
Old 05-21-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Am I missing something here?

Domester - Whatever starting cards you play in Omaha-8, you usually will be drawing after the flop.

That's the nature of Omaha-8.

When you play A234s and find at least two cards you can use on the flop, so as to be able to continue, your draws will be for the nuts. (That's a major reason A234s is a premium starting hand).

However, when you play 35JKs and find at least two cards you can use on the flop, so as to be able to continue, your draws will (in general) NOT be for the nuts. (That's a major reason 35JKs is considered a sub-marginal starting hand rather than a premium starting hand).

If you want to only draw to the nuts after the flop, then you don't play 35JKs. The reason is you don’t get a nut-flop or a nut-draw-flop often enough to justify seeing the flop with 35JKs - not even for a half small bet from the small blind.

It's just that simple.

If you are going to see the flop with 35JKs, you have to have something in mind other than drawing only to the nuts after the flop. If you are going to see the flop with 35JKs, then 24T with two cards in your 2nd nut flush suit draw is a reasonably favorable flop for 35JKs - and in general, I think you continue after a reasonably favorable flop.

There are, in my humble opinion, different ways to successfully play this game. I’m not advising you to play 35JKs from the small blind - but if your overall strategy includes playing this hand, then I think your overall strategy also needs to include sometimes drawing to a second nut flush. If you're uncomfortable drawing to a second nut flush, then don't play the hand in the first place.

Are you missing something here? Sort of. I think individuals with enough skill can successfully integrate sometimes playing 35JKs from the small blind into their overall strategy.

Just my opinion.

Buzz