View Single Post
Old 09-24-2005, 07:06 PM

Default Re: I got completely lost on this one...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think the pot is big enough that if you're confident in your read you can 3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does the size of the pot effect the EV of a 3-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

lets say BB has trips or a straight or a set 50% of the time and will fold everything else (including kings or a better hand X% of the time). and lets say you have button beat 75% of the time and he is never folding. in this scenario, you win the pot approximately 37.5% of the time and would need there to be 7 bets in the pot to make putting in 3bets worth it (because button will call the river for sure. this example is super oversimplified because it doesn't consider how often you think you are beat vs how often BB will fold but it definitely shows that 3betting would be +EV in this case.

theres also some cases where you have both of them beat anyways that has to work into your equation. but at least in this case i think the pot is big enough that 3betting is +EV. if the pot were 4 bets I'd just fold. it's all read dependent really, comes down to how often you think you can fold BB out of a better hand combined with how often you'd be behind the button.