View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Re: $11 AKs Against Paired Board

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are times when it might be prudent to not c-bet. This isn't one of them. A paired board is the next best thing to hitting your hand & you are HU vs. a blind caller.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I agree. The flushdraw makes this a bit better. But I don't love a paired flop with AK. If the BB called with a pocket pair of any kind, he is not going to fold to a bet here. He loves this flop. The only hands you fold here are the hands you are beating anyway. AT+/KQ/KJ/etc. Hands we dominate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree. The FD certainly made this particual c-bet situation more of a value bet. Maybe 'must' is better than 'next best thing'.

You are certainly correct - more calls are made with hands that we are behind, than folds being made with the same. But for that same reason we must c-bet here to get the free river card. Certainly some will reraise our flop lead with a mid-PP on a hunch we've whiffed a strong Ace. But he also can't discredit being behind a larger PP. His mission is to get to showdown as cheap as possible (which is perfect for us as we look to improve). The only time he's NOT doing this, is when we show weakness on the flop...as hero here found out. Making a move on the turn and/or river, often taking the pot from us when we don't improve - and can't call.