Thread: jeet kune do
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: jeet kune do

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
noone has read this?

[/ QUOTE ]

What about it? Are you talking about his philosophy towards fighting or his overall philosphical view of life?

I agree with many of his martial arts insights that strayed from traditional chinese gung fu views, as do many people nowadays.

Things like
1)Practicing "sets" or predetermined movements by yourself was a waste of time
2)Physical strength was more of a factor then people believed
3)It was important to make yourself a complete fighter with knowledge of striking AND grappling. Always important to be prepared for the unlikely
4)Its not "cheap" to hit the groin. Fighters that cant protect their private areas cant say they are good fighters

or his general philosophy thats important to be "a tree that bends in the wind" or like you said "the softest thing cannot be snapped." I think he shows this philosophy fairly obviously in the movie, "Return of the Dragon."

He is getting beaten up by Chuck Norris until he starts adjusting and modifying his stance/attacks. Chuck Norris remains rigid and unyielding in his ways and unable to find a way to counter Bruce Lee's flowing and adaptive movements with un-straightfoward attacks.

He is showing the strength of his idea is its pliability and its ability to always adapt.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was refering to his general philosophy as it can apply to anything, not just fighting. Althogh the book is mainly about training and fighting, the first couple dozen pages are general philosophy.

I think the fundamentals of his philosophy are the good stuff. The stuff about simplicity and efficency. taking the path of least resistance, the "middle way", being able to see "what is" at any given moment and all that stuff.