Thread: "No Set No Bet"
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2005, 09:52 AM

Default Re: \"No Set No Bet\"

[ QUOTE ]
All right, I realize that there's a philosophy of "no set no bet" around here, but I thought this was a clear exception.

[/ QUOTE ]

I must have missed that meeting.

Seriously, I think that applies to small pairs in multiway pots where you don't have the lead (and the board is kind of scary).

Don't get me wrong, I divorce a lot of small pairs in raised and unraised pots even where no one is showing any interest, but there are a lot of times where either:
1. You have reason to believe your hand is good but vulnerable
2. You think you can move your opponent off a better hand

Here you have a great hand post flop. SB makes a very suspicious push which is begging you to fold. Easy call. If he turns out to be the type who would take the lead and push with a K here, note it.

He could easily have a 9 or a hand like 77 (people play weird). He could also be on a stone bluff, or just be misplaying a hand like AA/QQ/JJ (in which case it sucks to be you.) (though again, open pushing hands like this may not be misplaying them, if he has reason to believe you will look him up with a worse hand since his bet looks like it wants you to fold, which should make you want to call.... but I don't know that people think that deeply in these things. I know I don't have time to, so I just play erratic, err, I mean, mix up my game and play hands in different ways...)