View Single Post
Old 07-25-2005, 05:09 AM

Default Re: Minors at home games?

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't play with an 11 year old at the table.

I wouldn't play with a 15 year old at the table.

And I'm not sure if I'd play with a 17 year old at the table.

For me it's just a question of maturity and I find the majority (not all!) of teenagers are lacking. If I'm going to play in a home game I want the players there to be able to behave like grown ups and if that means tossing out the occasional 20 or 30 year old that acts like a child then so be it. And in the case of an 11 year old I just can't see how they'd have enough of a grasp of the game to be able to keep the game running smoothly, although I may be underestimating what an 11 year old can do.

Anyone under the age of 20 or so would really have to prove themselves to me before they'd get a seat in my game.

T

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 20, and have been playing for... basically forever and I'll be the first to admit that your average teenager is basically, a fuckwit or a hothead, when it comes to poker. The problem is, I haven't seen a trend of diminishing ass-hattery based on the player getting older.

If it's really just a matter of the mechanics of the game, I don't think you have to assume that's automatically a factor. I played 5-draw with my grandma for years when I was in the single digits, and used to win a good chunk of money whenever our family had a card-night and played penny-nickel-dime [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think you're giving about the right amount of credit to teens, I just think you're overestimating the maturity level of the adult-folks.