View Single Post
Old 07-23-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Minors at home games?

[ QUOTE ]
I respect those of you who disagree with me, but I wonder if anyone with school age kids thinks I'm out of line here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 17, going on 18, and I did fine starting out at seven in football pools; I did a little better than even over three years. Still, I think your decision is pretty reasonable. It's not necessary to expose 11-year-olds to the environment of home poker games. It might be okay to bring one to a charity tournament, since the level of etiquette would (probably) be higher, but I wouldn't bring one to a guy's night out sort of situation. I never went into the bar where I placed my bets; my father always placed the bets for me.

Thirteen or fourteen for a charity tournament and sixteen for a home poker game ought to be pretty reasonable minimum age limits. By sixteen a kid can shoot the [censored] as well as anyone, and by thirteen they're close enough to be in a somewhat friendlier environment.

All in all, if you don't think a kid is ready (socially, etc.) for your game, don't let 'im in.