Thread: Quick question.
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Quick question.

That was of incredible value, thanks a lot.

To clarify a little:

- It was a heads up S&G, low buy-in.

- I wasn't trying to incite a check/raise, even though I thought I was ahead. This player was very passive, and I was better than him, so I didn't really want to get it all in even with this strong of a hand. I was just throwing out a small bet that I thought he'd call with a variety of weaker hands. I thought I was way ahead of his range when he checked to me. It was after he check/raised that I put myself very slightly ahead.

- You said,

[ QUOTE ]
after the checkraise, the problem i see with just calling is that well, you're saying you think he's behind your range, and well, he's only going to have to call 300 more in to a pot of 2300 or so on your final push. combine that with the fact that if you're trying to preserve your remaining stack, and i don't see the value really in leaving these last 300 behind. i mean, what's the fear, that he's going to fold to your push 3 bet? that shouldn't be a fear.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the point that led to me posting this hand. If it's a cash game, and I think I'm ahead of his range, I push here 100% of the time because he's obviously not folding anything, so it's +EV. But in a tournament...

1) If I'm ahead and just call, I'm up 2240 to to 760.
2) If I'm ahead and push, I'm up 2540 to 460.
3) If I'm behind and just call, I'm down 2670 to 330.
4) If I'm behind and push, I'm out.

It just seemed to me that the 1-or-3 group was way more appealing than the 2-or-4 group, and that the 330 in tournament chips was way more valuable when it's all I have left than if I'm a big chip leader. That's all. I'm definitely pushing in a cash game.

- I think you're right, I think I should have checked behind or pushed.

- You edited my post, it says, but I can't figure out for the life of me what you edited.

Regardless, thanks a lot for looking at the hand.