View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Intellectual Honesty

I think he is saying it is dishonest because the individual has an agenda - before he begins he knows the conclusion he is trying to prove. I agree it is hard or impossible to be unbaised when you begin an inquiry in this fashion.

Of course, this is why debate is good and forums like this one are so useful. The caveat is that the participants of the debate have to be mentally flexible, and this is not usually the case.

I like to say there is a difference between an idea and a belief. An idea is something which makes sense to you but you are willing to hear other arguments. A belief is something about which you are certain, therefore if someone disagrees with you they are necessarially against you (see NotReady's opinion of Atheists in the "A question for Atheists and Chrisitans" thread).

On the contraty, if someone disagrees with your idea they can become your ally in a search for the greater truth. In general, ideas are good and beliefs are bad. If you don't keep talking to people who disagree with you the line will begin to blur.