Thread: A phenomenon
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2004, 11:35 PM

Default A phenomenon

A phenomenon
This is a continuation of my original post and idea from post musings of a deranged mind
I would like to explain to the reader here what I meant by the statement I made in a previous post. What I said was:

It is my belief that to achieve enlightenment in the strategy of playing poker a player must overcome the obsession with winning.

I have experienced a phenomenon a number of times while playing poker. This phenomenon has occurred in tournament scenarios primarily but I think the concept could be adapted to any type of game.

During the 2.5 years I have been playing online poker there have been a few times when I wanted my opponent to win. (I know you think I’m nuts right?) These have been tournament situation mostly Heads-Up sit-n-go tournaments but also at the final table of some low limit multi-table tournaments.

I will talk about the Heads-Up tournaments here because it was much more obvious during these times.

Why would I want my opponent to win?
Well there a few reasons, possibly I knew that the player was moving up in limits and I wanted to reinforce their actions and get them a win a their new limit and add a bit to their bankroll so they’d feel good about playing again at that limit.

Or maybe I entered a tournament and realized that I had another commitment and wanted to end the tournament quickly rather than battle it out for 45 minutes.

Since I started keeping notes of people I have played in HU tourneys I have collected about 400 names, many I’ve played once but some I’ve played up to 5 or 6 times or more. I’m certainly not trying to impress anybody with these numbers or anything I’m I just wish to convey the facts. (also, if you know my user-id on the sites I play and we have played recently, be assured that I am NOT talking about you -smile)

During all of these tourneys I’d say maybe 6 times I have been in the situation where I wanted my opponent to win.

What I have determined is that every time I play a HU tournament and I want my opponent to win gracefully IT IS AN EXTREMELY DIFFICULT PROPOSITION.

No matter what I do I wind up winning chips and I have to resort to folding on the river when my opponent checks, in an effort to give them the chips.

I am serious about this, it really happens.
I believe that it has something to do with playing anxiety free, tilt free, fearless poker.
Don’t get me wrong here, the anxiety or mild fear is part of the competitive nature, its what makes us want to win, but I think it also that there is a force here should be recognized.
Many long term established players may have already attained this level of enlightenment. I have yet to tap into this resource but I believe it can be done and in can be incorporated into a winning strategy.

Since a post of more than a page makes my eyes glaze over I will stop here but I wish to continue this concept in the next post.

Thanks for reading