View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 11:22 PM

Default Re: KQ...flop check okay?

I feel like against most mid-stakes players,

a stop and go will cause enough confusion to them that they'll call with a very wide range of hands here, ones that are well ahead and well behind. Clearly, they'll still push flushes but I've always felt betting half the pot on the turn as a stop and go is adaquate enough to cause them to slowdown without the best of hands.

Given that, I feel like betting that flop causes a lot of hands that I'm ahead of to push me off (a of diamonds, T9, QJ). I feel like flop checking gains me value from hands that are behind and allows me to get to the turn cheaply against hands like QJ and A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. If a bad card comes off here, I can check and be confident that my flop check-call should keep them from betting hands that I have beat. (if i bet and then checked to this bad card, they may bet with a hand like black jacks, realizing thats their time to move me off black kings and aces).

If a good card comes, my halfpot turn lead should let them to just call with hands like a red AA which would have likely raised me if I bet the flop. Although being against red AA would suck, i do get an extra card to hit here and possibly a free showdown as I've possibly represented a hand like two pair (since my line is confusing).

This just seems like a time to inflate my hand/gain value from way behind hands by checking the flop) by stopping and going this big board. It also adaquately defines my hand by the turn so I don't have to go to the river with a hand that won't improve and may be dead on the flop.