View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Re: A Question for Christians

[ QUOTE ]
To an atheist (and anyone who has the inclination to contemplate), these questions are anything but ridiculous. I think it's as Luckme suggests: It is ridiculous to YOU, because you refuse to think about anything outside your given beliefs.

If the answer is so easy, why didn't you answer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please see my reply to someone else above; and I think I was pretty dead on, as you have proven even more with this post.

[ QUOTE ]
Why are Christians against cremation?

[/ QUOTE ]

It has nothing to do with the soul. The body is a creation of God, and those things that God creates should not be defiled or destroyed. This is the same reason that Sloth and Gluttony are sins, as well as why addiction is viewed as undesirable.

Also, not all Christian religions are against cremation. You did of course in your contemplative brilliance realize that "Christian" doesn't really narrow things down right? You really can't intelligently group Baptists, Catholics, Mormons, Lutherans, Episcapalians, Adventists, Born-again, etc as one set of beliefs. Sure they share a core, but there are significant differences ( Mormons really being very different ).

Also, the Catholic church via the Pope lifted the ban on cremation in 1963 -- so you're contemplated arguement is just over 42 years out of date.

[ QUOTE ]

If the soul is not indigenous to the flesh then why is the body and blood of Christ so symbolic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the first gifting of the Christ's body and blood occured while he was still alive, at the "last supper". Also, within more "Christian" teachings Christ was not human -- so attempting to apply any symbolism regarding his body and blood to those of a mortal, is perhaps misleading.

Also, you asked elsewhere
[ QUOTE ]

I like your analogy. So if George's brain is put in Harry's body and now Harry's body commits a mortal sin, then George's soul goes to hell, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I will attempt to answer this once you explain to me how the body commits a mortal sin w/o the involvement of the brain.